Monday, March 27, 2017

10 Things that Make Me Really Happy

Life can get you down a lot and sometimes it seems like there is no light or hope. I can be really tough on myself, like unreasonably tough. So I've found that when I get in those moods having a list of things that make me happy and smile really helps break up the bad attitude. My list will morph and change a bit depending on the situation but for the most part it stays the same. So here is my list of 10 things that make me really happy!

1. Cats: I am a total cat person. Don't get me wrong, I love dogs to but I've always grown up with cats and I feel most comfortable with them. They are so fluffy, mysterious, loving, and sassy. They can sense when you are feeling down and need a good snuggle, you can't really force a cat to cuddle.

2. Ballet: I have been dancing since I was 5 and when I get into the studio, on the stage, or even just watching ballet videos on YouTube my whole mood brightens. I love seeing this art form express people's feeling and move people. It really can change a person's thoughts on things. Dancing has always been a way for me to express myself without having to open my mouth. I'm not always great at expressing with words how I'm doing so if I can do it through movement it makes a world of difference.

3. Macaroons: I adore this little French cookie. I fell in love with it long ago on my travel in Europe and ever since then I can't help but smile when I hold one in my hand. There is just something about the light crunch of the cookie with the filling inside exploding into your mouth. They are such delicate and beautiful cookies that can hold so many complex flavors. 

4. Coffee: I am addicted to caffeine. It is so bad but what can you do? I love a good cup of dark coffee in the early morning, or a casual cup in the afternoon with a friend. No matter the time of day the darker and richer the cup of coffee you hand me the bigger I'll smile. I'll know you are my true friend when you know to wake me with a cup of coffee and not just empty handed.

5. Sparkles: Growing up in the dance world you get a soft spot for the glamour and sparkle of the dance costumes. Well at least I did. Anything that is glittery or sparkly will grab my attention right away. It's so wonderful and bright and cheerful and there just seems to be nothing that can bring it down.

6. This Side of Paradise: F. Scott Fitzgerald is my all time favorite author. I have yet to meet a piece of his writing that I didn't like. My favorite book of his is This Side of Paradise. It's just a simple read with love, learning who you are, and of course the flair of the 1920's extravagance. 

7. Calligraphy: I once tried to learn this beautiful art form but I have zero patience for it so I have settled to watching videos of people writing or just appreciating the finished project. On my Pinterest I have a board solely dedicated to writing and calligraphy. If I'm down I pull it up and skim through, it is just to relaxing and whimsical.

8. Fluffy Socks: The fluffier the better. Simple as that.

9. Lipstick: It's a simple thing but sometimes if I just swipe on a simple nude or a bright red my mood completely changes. I feel like when I put my lipstick on my life just comes together so much better. Don't even get me started on how happy a brand new tube of lipstick will make me.

10. Tattoos: I have one currently with many more in the works. There's something about inking myself that brings me joy. I get to wear someone's hard work on my body and show it off to the world. I am a walking art museum, who wouldn't want to be that! I also just love looking at my tattoo and remembering why it sits on my arm and it just makes me simple and feel at peace.

So that is my list. Some things change depending on the day or the mood I get in but like I said earlier in general this list is it. I hope you all find happiness in something. If you are ever feeling down make a list. Heck, make a list now and keep it somewhere where you can pull it out, read through it, feel better, and put it away for when you need it again.

XOXO
ZMH

No comments:

Post a Comment