Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Slavery Museum, Albert Dock, and Laughterhouse (England day 2)

After the first day of trudging through everything and trying to adjust to the time change as quickly as possible day two was much better. Granted a lot of us were still very very tired but this day was a little more bearable. We still did some stuff as a group but our professors gave us a little more free reign and we were able to do some exploring.

Together we all went to the International Slavery Museum at the Maritime Museum in Liverpool on Albert Dock. Way back when Liverpool played a key role in the slave trade since it was a port city and a good place to stop between Africa and America. Although it was a small exhibit it did hit home and made me think about how much of the world's history is not very pleasant. 

Never in my wildest thoughts did I think I would be standing in front of a real KKK robe. It was really terrifying to stand in front of this display and think that someone used to wear it.

These amazing celebration clothes from Africa were so intricate and bright. They were a little bit of sunshine in the exhibit and showed how despite the turmoil celebration still happened for Africans and they tried the best they could to always enjoy themselves.

After going through the Slavery Museum a bunch of us took the afternoon to wander Albert Dock and pop into the funky little stores that were there. This day was a typical rainy England day but it just made the city look even prettier in my opinion. After looking through stores and getting a little wet we decided to spend the rest of our afternoon bar hoping.

Only in Liverpool will you see a display of The Beatles made out of 15,000 Jellybellies

Later in the day after dinner we were set to go to the Laughterhouse for comedy night but while walking there we ran into Drury Lane and had to ask the question, "Do you know the muffin man?"

Laughterhouse was a great experience. It is a tiny basement comedy club in The Slaughter House and it was packed. There were three comedians and they introduced us to our first live experience of British wit and humor. The first act was great, the second would have been good if I knew about the locals and other towns more, and the third guy had clearly been drinking or smoking to much before he got on. Overall my favorite part of the night was the MC who killed it and kept the whole show from completely flopping.


While at the comedy club we got to sit behind a hen party which is what the Brits call a bachelorette party. There was a mix of older and younger women together out celebrating two different women's last nights a single girls. They were all a hoot sporting as much pink as possible and maybe getting a little too tipsy.

It's sad to think I'm in the last week of my stay here in Liverpool but I love doing these posts because they remind me of how much fun I have had and how much I have learned. I cannot wait to continue sharing all of my adventures and stories with you, let me know what you think or if you have seen any of these things from today's post.

XOXO
ZMH 

No comments:

Post a Comment