Monday, March 10, 2014

Dance Marathon

Here at Hope College we have a huge event called Dance Marathon. Hope College has been doing this event for 15 years now and the money we raise each year keeps growing and the participants keep growing as well.

Dance Marathon is a fundraising event that donates all of the money to Helen DeVos Children's Hospital. The hospital is one of the best children's care hospital's in the nation. They deal with very sick children every day and work miracles all the time. At Dance Marathon there are dancers and moralers. You can sign up as either one but most people sign up as a dancer. A dancer is the person who stays at the event for the full 24 hours. Dancers are expected to interact with the miracle children and their families as well as stay standing for the full 24 hours and stay awake as well. A morale is someone who is part of the team that comes and stays for 8 hour shifts and morales that dancers. They are there to encourage the dancers and keep their attitudes positive.

I was apart of my sororities Dance Marathon team. This year is was a requirement for the new members to be dancers and then the old actives were all moralers. It was my first year doing the whole 24 hours and to be honest I was terrified. Needless to say though I felt so amazing when it was done. I felt like I accomplished something great and seeing all the families and children thanking us afterward made me so happy. I was in so much pain and so exhausted but I'm glad I was able to do it.

Once the marathon was done I walked as fast as I could back to my dorm, changed my clothes, got some food, and snuggled up in my bed. I slept for a total of 16.5 hours, not all the way through, I did wake up a few times. My body hurt, and still does, so much but I keep telling myself it was for the kids and the pain doesn't seem so bad anymore.

Here is what I have done since the marathon:
I slept for 16.5 hours.
I drank 6 bottles of water.
Ate 4 granola bars.
Ate a whole can of pringles in one sitting.
Ate 2 cupcakes.
Had some McDonalds.
And watched 4 episodes of Parks and Recreation.

This was Alpha Gamma Phi's miracle child Noelle. She was such a sweetheart and so spunky.

Almost all the new members by the Dance Marathon banner. It was about 2am at this point, right before everyone started crashing.

One of our girls proved that it is possible to fall asleep while standing. We were very impressed. Unfortunately she woke up before we could get a photo of all of us around her.

Our lovely banner we made for Noelle. We worked so hard on it and I think it turned out quite well.

Here is a link for more information about Dance Marathon and what we did this year!

XOXO
ZMH

No comments:

Post a Comment